Cart

You have no items in your shopping cart.

Subtotal: $0.00

Temple of Five Lords

Introducing Temple of Five Lords, Temple of Five Lords Guide, Temple of Five Lords Travel Guide
Article from Haikou Municipal Commission of Tourism

Temple of Five Lords, located at the southeast of Haikou City, covering an area of about 66,000 square metres, is a comprehensive tourist scenic spot integrated with ancient buildings, historical sites and gardens, mainly composed of the First Temple of Hainan (Temple of Five Lords) Guan Jia Tang, Xue Pu Tang, Su Gong Temple(Lord Su Temple), two-Fubo Temple(Two-Famous-General Temple), Jiong Zhuo Pavilion, Xi Xin Room(Room for Cleansing One's Soul), Fu Su Spring, Su Spring Pavilion, Qiongyuan Garden, and other cultural and historical relics.

Ever since Su Dongpo, an outstanding poet and writer in the Song Dynasty, led the local people here to dig two springs in 1097, it has become a place to worship the worthies of the past and educate the later generations, hence the good reputation of "Famous Attraction of Hainan".

"The Five Lords" refer to the five famous officials in the Tang and Song Dynasties who were suppressed and sent into exile on Hainan. They are Li Deyu, prime minister of the Tang Dynasty, Li Gang, prime ministers of the Song Dynasty, Li Guang and Hu Quan, the great scholars of the Song Dynasty. Although the periods of time the Five Lords lived in the island were not the same, they were all best-known as being patriotic officials and national heroes, and were deeply remembered by the people of Hainan for their propagation of advanced culture of Central China and their influence on the development of Hainan's civilization.

In 1889, the local official of Qing Dynasty constructed the First Temple of Hainan as a memorial to the Five Lords, hence the name of The Temple of Five Lords. Actually Temple of Five Lords refers to the main building of the First Temple of Hainan and a group of ancient Chinese buildings around it.
Su Gong Temple was built in commemoration of Su Dongpo, an outstanding poet and writer in the Song Dynasty. In 1097 when he was suppressed and sent into exile on Hainan. He directed the local people digging two springs. Three years later when he returned north under an amnesty, the wells were named "Fu Su Spring" and the pavilion on it was named "Jiong Zhuo Pavilion". Since there left a relic of Dongpo's Study, later in the Yuan Dynasty, "Dongpo Shu Yuan", a college named after him was set up there. Su Gong Temple was built on the same site during the Ming Dynasty, and thus, the temple, having experienced several renovations was standing as it is now.

There was a Fubo General called Lu Bode in the Western Han Dynasty and another Fubo General called Ma Yuan in the Eastern Han Dynasty who put down the rebellion in Hainan. And Hainan from this time on has been included in China's territory. The Two-Fubo Temple was built in commemoration of their heroic achievements.

Going out of the Lord Su Temple, about the islet in the lake and over an arch bridge, you will see the Exhibition Hall of the Temple of Five Lords, in which there is a fine exhibit of the historical relics of the Five Lords and Hainan.

The Five-Lord merits will go down in history forever. Their heroic spirits inspire the later generations to exert themselves in the service of the nation.

Quick Facts on Temple of Five Lords

Name: Temple of Five Lords
Location: Downtown Haikou
Dates: Ming Dynasty ( 1368 - 1644 )
Best Time to Visit: September to Next May
Recommended Time for a Visit: 1 Hour
Opening Hours: 07:30 - 18:30
Admission Fee: CNY 20 ( September to Next May ); CNY 17 ( June to August )

There are no products matching the selection.